Friday 4 November 2016

MISE-EN-SCENE 3: Tattoos

 

As tattoos are a very common feature of rock bands, and as we wanted to achieve verisimilitude, we decided to have tattoos on the band members.

When first designing the tattoos, I took a lot of inspiration from the lead singer of Bring Me The Horizon, Oli Sykes. There were a few tattoos that i saw very often on singers or band members such as: 
- Roses
- Crosses
- Skulls
- Instruments/something music themed.

I also took the lyrics of the song we are using (Follow You) and found some phrases that I could base a tattoo of. 

I immediately saw the word heart and was inspired by that to draw a realistic heart. I drew the designs in biro as it allows small detail and creates a similar effect to that of a tattoo.

After having designed all of these tattoos and drawn them out, i began testing the paper we had bought to make the tattoos temporary, as my previous attempts had not worked properly. 
I drew a very simple sun design on word, and then printed it out 5 times onto the paper. I tried a few different methods, the one I found on the internet, and one that was on the packet of the paper. 
This was moderately successful, although there was still a strange plastic texture to the tattoo. I tried again a couple of times and found that if i used hot water, and dampened the tattoo often it worked fine. 
I then took all of my designs and printed them out.

On the day of the shoot, i brought along hot water and tried to place the tattoos on our band members. 
However it didn't work and we had to go without. 
I ended up drawing the tattoos on with an eyeliner pen. 
 
  
I drew words such as 'hate' 'love' 'life 'death' on the knuckles of 2 band members and on the other 2 i drew crosses. 
I also drew a lightning bolt on anothers arm. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and reviewed by the blog owner before publication.